Tutorial How to Learn Mikrotik without RouterBoard with VMWare – For those of you who want to learn Mikrotik but do not have its router board no worry, because we can still learn Mikrotik by using iso Mikrotik file. So, in fact, Mikrotik it is Linux that is made specifically for the Router. So we do not need to have a router board, which is important to have its Mikrotik software in the form of ISO file. Mikrotik ISO file can run on a secondhand PC (Read Previous Article: Tutorial How To Install Mikrotik RouterOS ). But this time we will install without additional secondhand PC by running using Virtual Machine like VMWare Player, VMware Workstation,
Then from the VM we connect to Winbox.
- Computers / Laptops
- Mikrotik ISO file
- Virtual Machine (I use VMWare Workstation )
Well if the things above already met, we immediately wrote to his steps.
ISO Mikrotik OS Installation Process
1. Download the Mikrotik ISO file. You can download here (Include a level 6 license. Please use ONLY FOR LEARNING OBJECTIVES!)
2. Run the Mikrotik ISO in Virtual Machine. In this case, I use VMWare Workstation. When creating a new Harddisk in his VM with little space, for example, 200MB.
3. Run the Mikrotik VM, and run the Mikrotik installation by selecting all available options with the ‘ a ‘ button. If already checked all press ‘ i’ button to install Mikrotik.
4. Wait a minute until the installation process is complete. Be patient yah, just a minute anyway;) If finished finish press Enter key to reboot
1. After the installation process Mikrotik OS is complete, try to enter into his Mikrotik system. Enter user login: admin and password: ‘Blank’
2. Congratulations you have successfully entered the system Mikrotik in VM. Here we can only enter text-based command no GUI mode it. Now we start the network configuration to be connected to the local network of PCs especially let me open Winbox. Please Download Winbox here.
3. In its VM go to settings, change its Network Adapter to custom VMNet1. For those who use other VM kinds Virtual Box please adjust it.
4. Next try to open Winbox, check whether already detected his Mikrotik. If already directly login using same login data. If you can not login please check again the network configuration. DisableNetwork Adapter VMnet8 let me not confuse Winbox.
5. On Winbox there is only 1 interface is Ether 1, so pretty complicated actually because we usually practice with WLAN and there is no wlan because it is physically in VMWare not have a wireless interface. So yes we can only use Ether 1.
For simplicity, please use the latest way to Mikrotik Balancing Without RouterBoard by using GNS3 (Mikrotik Packet Tracer):