Mikrotik basic theories needed when we will learn Mikrotik in order to understand well the basic material about Mikrotik itself. Mikrotiknetworking.Com Tutorial articles on earlier discussed about what is Mikrotik? Understanding Mikrotik & Explanation. This time we will discuss about basic theory of Mikrotik.
Mikrotik RouterOS ™ base Linux operating system is intended as a network router. Designed to provide convenience for its users. Administration can be done via the Windows Application (WinBox). In addition the installation can be performed on Standard PCs (Personal Computer). The PC that will be used as the router Mikrotik does not require any resource that is large enough for the use of the standard, for example, just as the gateway. For the purposes of a huge burden (network complex, complicated routing) are advised to consider the selection of adequate PC resource.
MikroTik RouterOS History
Mikrotik is a small company based in Latvia, adjacent to Russia. Its formation was initiated by John Trully and Arnis Riekstins. John was a Trully born immigrated to Latvia. In Latvia, he bejumpa with Arnis, a Physical and mechanical darjana circa 1995.
John and Arnis started me-routing world in 1996 (MikroTik’s mission is me-routing around the world). Start with Linux and MS-DOS system combined with the technology of Wireless-LAN (WLAN) Aeronet speed 2 Mbps in Moldova, neighbouring Latvia, then serve five customers in Latvia.
The basic principle of their not making Wireless ISP (W-ISP), but make the router program is reliable and can run all over the world. Latvia is only an experimental place of John and Arnis, because currently they have helped other countries including Sri Lanka who serve approximately 400 users.
The Linux Kernel was first used 2.2 developed jointly denag the help of 5-15 people staff Research and Development (R&D) rule the world now MikroTik routing in the developing countries. According to Arnis, in addition to the staff at the environment MikroTik, they also recruit specialized-freelance and third parties with developing intensive MikroTik in marathon.
Types Of Mikrotik
- MikroTik RouterOS shaped piece of software that can be downloaded at www.mikrotik.com. Can be installed on home compuetr (PC).
- MikroTik RouterBoard IE built-in Hardware Mikrotik in the form of special hardware packed in board installed inside the router MikroTik RouterOS.
Features Of Mikrotik
- Address List: Grouping IP Address by name
- Asynchronous: supports serial PPP dial-in/dial-out, with CHAP authentication, PAP,MSCHAPv1 and MSCHAPv2, Radius, dial on demand, modem pool up to 128
- Bonding: supporting combining multiple ethernet interfaces into 1 pipes on a fast connection.
- Bridge: the bridge spinning tree support functions, multiple bridge interfaces, firewalling the bridging.
- Data Rate:HTB-based QoS Management with the use of the burst, PCQ, RED, SFQ, FIFO queue, CIR, MIR, limit between peer to peer
- DHCP:DHCP Support each interface; DHCP Relay; DHCP Client, multiple network DHCP; static and dynamic DHCP
- Firewall and NAT: supports peer to peer connection filtering, NAT and source NAT destination. being able to filter based on the MAC, IP address, IP Protocol, the port range, protocols like ICMP options selection, TCP Flags, and MSS.
- Hotspot: Hotspot gateway with RADIUS authentication. Limit data rate support, SSL, HTTPS.
- IPSecProtocol: AH and ESP for IPSec; MODP Diffie-Hellmann groups 1, 2, 5; MD5 and SHA1 hashing algorithm; enkirpsi algorithm using DES, 3DES, AES-128, AES-192, AES-256; Perfect Forwarding Secresy (PFS) MODP groups 1, 2.5
- ISDN: support ISDN dial-in/dial-out. Authentication with PAP, CHAP, MSCHAPv1 and MSCHAPv2, Radius. Supports 128 k bundle, Cisco HDLC, x751, x75ui, x75bui line protocol.
- M3P:MikroTik Protocol Package Packer for wireless links and
- MNDP: MikroTik Neighbour Discovery Protocol, also supports the Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP).
- Monitoring/Accounting: reports, logs, IP Traffic statistics graph that can be accessed through HTTP.
- NTP:Network Time Protocol for server and clients; synchronization using GPS
- Pointto Point Tunneling Protocol: PPTP and L2TP, PPPoE Access Consentrator; Authentication Protocol using PAP, CHAP, MSCHAPv1, MSCHAPv2; authentication and Radius report; MPPE encryption; PPoE for compression; limit data rate.
- Proxy: Cache for FTP and HTTP proxy server, HTTPS proxy; transparent proxy for DNS and HTTP;supports SOCKS protocol; parent proxy support; static
- Routing:static and dynamic Routing; RIP v1/v2, OSPF v2, BGP
- SDSL:Single Line DSL Support; line connection and disconnection mode
- SimpleTunnel: IPIP Tunnel and EoIP (Ethernet over IP).
- SNMP: SimpleNetwork Monitoring Protocol read-only access
- Synchronous: v.35, v. 24, E1/T1, X 21, DS3 (T3) media ttypes;Sync-PPP, Cisco HDLC; Frame Relay line protocol; ANSI-617d (ANDI or annex D) and Q933a (CCITT or annex A); Frame Relay LMI
- Tool: Ping, Traceroute;bandwidth test; Ping flood; Telnet; SSH; packet sniffer; Dynamic DNS
- Interface: supportsUPnP Universal Plug and Play.
- VLAN: Virtual LAN Support IEEE 802 .1Q ethernet and wireless network;multiple VLANS; VLAN
- VoIP:voice over IP application
- VRRP:Virtual Router Supports Redudant
- WinBox GUI mode: application to MikroTik RouterOS meremote and configure.