Tutorial How to Install Mikrotik with Netinstall – Mikrotik Installation can be done in several ways. Previously also been discussed about anything how to install Mikrotik in this article: Tutorial How To Install Mikrotik RouterOS. One way to install Mikrotik is with NetInstall.
What is Netinstall?
Based on the source of the Mikrotik wiki, Netinstall is a program that runs on Windows computers that allow you to install MikroTik RouterOS to PC or to RouterBoard over an Ethernet network. Netinstall is also used to reinstall RouterOS in cases where previous installations fail, become corrupted or lost access passwords.
Your device must support booting from ethernet, and there must be an ethernet link directly from the netinstall computer to the target device. All RouterBOARD support for PXE boot network must be enabled either in RouterOS menu “Routerboard” if RouterOS is operating or in bootloader settings. For this, you will need a serial cable.
Note: For RouterBOARD devices without a serial port, and no RouterOS access, reset button can also start PXE boot mode. See RouterBOARD PDF instructions for details. For example, RB750 PDF Netinstall can also directly install RouterOS on disk (USB / CF / IDE / SATA) connected to Windows netinstall machine. After installation just move the disk to the Router machine and boot from it.
Well, so essentially Netinstall can be used to reset the password Mikrotik when we forget the password Mikrotik it and also when there is a system failure on the previous installation process. Then why use NetInstall? Why not directly upgrade just keep on reset?
Here’s the difference Netinstall and Upgrade:
The process of formatting the drive takes place on netinstall but does not occur in the upgrade.So what’s the effect? We know that Mikrotik provides a small memory and when the upgrade process, there are some data that we may not use but still take place there. With NetInstall, first, clean the entire storage area by formatting the drive after it has just entered the system.
Okay, it’s clear what is Netisntall. Now we just try to install Mikrotik with netinstall .
How to do NetInstall?
1. NetInstall software (download from http://mikrotik.com/download )
2. UTP cable
3. File MikroTik software according to the type: x86, mpsbe, mipsle, mipsle, dll. (Download from http://mikrotik.com/download )
In some literacy, there should be a serial cable, but I have tried without serial cable and it works. The function of this serial cable will be to change the boot path of the device that by default boot from the internal disk to boot from the network.
- Download the Netinstall program from http://www.mikrotik.com/download page
Download the combined package RouterOS from http://www.mikrotik.com/download page, customize it with your router type and the version you want to use. If you use RB750 please choose MIPSBE type.
- Use UTP Cable to connect PC with Mikrotik via Ethernet.
- Setting your PC’s Ethernet interface using static IP. (For example: IP 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0).
- Run the Netinstall program and press the Netboot button, then you enable/check Boot Server enabled, then fill in the Client IP address with the IP of one subnet with your PC static IP (for example 192.168.0.2) and press OK button.
- Unplug your Mikrotik RouterBoard power adapter
- Press the small reset button on your router’s Mikrotik RouterBoard and hold it.
- While still on hold, you turn on the power adapter
- Wait a while, later in the program, you will appear Netinstall type and mac-address of your Mikrotik RouterBoard.
- Release the reset button, then you tap your mac-address router in the Netinstall program and select the package you will use for installation (checked)
- Press the browse button and select the folder where you saved the * .npk file you have downloaded in step 2. In this case because of which I will net install is for type RB750 series then the packet used is mipsbe.
- Press the install button, the later installation process will be displayed in Netinstall program.
- If the installation process is complete, RouterBoard Mikrotik will reboot automatically.
- After all the process is complete please open winbox and login to Mikrotik to do configuration.
- Do not be too pushy/strong to press the reset button because it can cause the reset button is damaged. If your router has a serial port, we suggest you use a serial cable to change the boot device to the ethernet port
- Installation process using netinstall will delete all your router configuration, so the default username = admin, password = (empty does not need to be filled). Therefore I recommend to backup all the files and configuration on Mikrotik.
So Tutorial How to Install Mikrotik with Netinstall taken from various sources of reference. Hopefully this article useful 🙂 Happy learning Mikrotik 😉